Wednesday, September 9, 2009

NV

So I'm all envious of these women I've found who are blogging about their cooking. Envious for two reasons: One - they're cooking, and I don't mean heating up things from the grocery - I mean chopping, slicing, dicing, grilling, sautéing, blending, etc. real food that they’ve washed and prepped and smelled and fondled (hopefully in a good way) and Two – they have not only the time to cook the stuff, then photograph it (another envy point but I only have two so I’m sneaking this one in)…but then they write about it. How to prepare it and serve it and what it is called in the little town in Italy where they first had it served to them– probably outside by charming little Italian men.
I want to cook. I want to photograph what I’ve cooked. I want to write about it in such a delightful way that people share with their friends the clever things I’ve said. But I don’t. I go to work. I’ve tried to convince myself that working in a homeless shelter is as sexy as blogging about food, but I’ve not yet succeeded. It would be different, I’m sure, if I were in India or China or some other place where I love the food but don’t speak the language, but I’m not. I’m in Valle Crucis, North Carolina. Which is beautiful, and I photograph it when I can.  I mean sure, I help people change their lives – but I do it eating Weight Watchers frozen lasagna so no one’s ever going to say, “Did you check out Dawn’s blog? That woman can sure heat up a frozen entrée!” Not going to happen.
So where do they get all this time? Retired? Married rich? Lottery winners? I’m lucky to have time to actually brew coffee in the morning – and then I take it in a travel mug. I suppose I could get up at 5:30 in order to get in my prayers and meditation and THEN blog. But I’d be cranky, and the guests at the shelter do not need another cranky pants in their lives. And my writing probably wouldn’t be so hot at that time either.
Oh well. I’ll just wait for things to change…mostly my heart so that I can enjoy the blogs from my new friends over at Tasty Kitchen http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/ and put the green dragon away. I really do like my job. Maybe some day I’ll go part time and blog in between. For now, I hear the beep of the microwave calling me. Now where is my camera? 

No comments:

Photoshop.com Album